Our tomatoe plants were full of green tomatoes and I kept on thinking how beautiful they looked and it got me thinking how great it would be to try cooking them but how? Then I thought of the famous American dish and a movie with the same title. After doing a little online research I was all fired up to try this recipe. This was a brand new gastronomic experience for me and I absolutely loved this dish as well as the "tart" tangy taste.
Low carb fried green tomatoes
Low carb fried green tomatoes taste so good you could eat them as is or also serve as an accompaniment to a meat dish. It could go well with a salsa dip or even dipped in some mayo with a teaspoon of hot sauce. I enjoyed mine sprinkled with a few drops of lemon juice.
Low carb fried green tomatoes ingredients:
- 4 medium green tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp buttermilk (or heavy cream)
- 4 tbs coconut flour
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup oil of your choice
Low carb fried green tomatoes cooking instructions:
1. Rinse your tomatoes and proceed to slice the them into 1 centimetre (1/2 inch) slices and sprinkle with salt. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes.
2. You will notice how the salt draws the liquid out.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together salt, egg and buttermilk
4. In another small bowl, mix together coconut flour and Cajun seasoning.
5. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat until just bubbling.
6. Dip each tomato slice into the egg wash, then dip into the coconut flour mixture, turning to coat evenly.
7. Let the tomatoes just lie in pan for a few seconds, without moving them around; otherwise you'll lose most of the batter into the pan. You'll know it is time to turn them when the edges start to turn golden brown.
8. Fry tomato slices until browned and crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove and drain on a paper-towel lined plate. You will probably have to work in batches, depending on the size of your pan.
If you try this recipe please let me know what you think. I love to receive feedback!