Mulligatawny soup is a very flavorsome soup originating from India. Translated from Tamil it literally means pepper water. I was introduced to this soup by a dear foodie friend. She makes this soup so beautifully and I love the infusion of flavours and enjoy the combination of tanginess and sweetness. This is so good on a cold winters day!
Low Carb Mulligatawny Soup
If you are not reducing carbs too strictly - feel free to add coconut milk, cooked rice or even split yellow pea's.
Low Carb Mulligatawny Soup Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery finely chopped
- 1 granny smith apple,cored & finely chopped
- 1 tbsp carb friendly flour (for thickening)
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 cups water
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 3 chicken stock cubes, crumbled
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 12 oz (340g) cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Low Carb Mulligatawny Soup Cooking Instructions:
- In deep wok or pan melt the butter on moderate heat.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot, green pepper and apple.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Place these sauteed veggies in a slow cooker and set on low heat setting.
- Stir in thickening flour, curry powder, cayenne, cumin, turmeric and salt.
- Gradually stir in water. Stir in tomato sauce, chicken stock cubes and lemon juice.
- Simmer at low heat for 1 hour and stir occasionally.
- Add chicken.
- Simmer for an additional half an hour.