Low carb mashed turnips is a great comfort food and also a good substitute for potatoes for those trying to keep their carb intake low. It is also very versatile and marries well with things like finely chopped sauteed spring onion, chives, or even crispy bacon bits. Even the most fussiest of eaters will find it hard to believe that turnips can taste so good!
Feel free to add a dollop of cream if so desired :)
Mashed Turnips ingredients:
- 400g ~ 14.1oz turnips
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- Salt to taste
Mashed Turnips cooking instructions:
2. Cut them into large, even pieces.
3. Place the turnip chunks into a pot, cover them with cold water, and bring to a boil.
4. Add enough salt to the cooking water to make it taste salty.
5. Cook turnips until very tender, about 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile in a seperate pot, gently heat the milk over low heat.
7. Add butter and melt it into the milk.
8. Drain turnips, place back into pot
9. Mash turnips until as smooth as possible or run them through a food processor.
11. Add salt and personal choice of spices to taste.
12. Serve mashed turnips hot.