South African cuisine has something for everyone. Dishes may be simple or they could be very sophisticated. South African lamb, green bean and carrot soup is one of those simple dishes. It is quick and easy to make and the flavours of the lamb and green beans blend well to give a very flavoursome soup.
South African lamb, green bean and carrot soup
I kept the gravy in bottom of slow cooker from my slow cooked lamb shanks dish. I knew that I would need this stock at some stage for a yummy soup. My stock was so flavoursome and there was no need for additional herbs or spices but freshly chopped rosemary or fresh mint would certainly enhance this dish. My stock had chunks of lamb which had broken off from the slow cooked lamb shanks and as it was warmed up once again, it shredded and infused with the sauce and veggies.
South African lamb, green bean and carrot ingredients:
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 Litre (33.8oz) lamb, tomatoe and red wine stock
- 300g (10.5oz) green beans topped and tailed and then chopped into 2 centimetre segments
- 3 large carrots scraped and diced
- 1 litre (33.8 oz) of boiled water
- 4 tsp crushed garlic
- Large tablespoon of cajun spice.
- chopped fresh rosemary or fresh mint
- Generous glug of olive oil
South African lamb, green bean and carrot cooking instructions:
1. Braise your chopped onion in the olive oil until browned and rich in colour.
2. Add a large table spoon of Cajun spice.
3. Add browned onion to remaining ingredients and place in to slow cooker.
3. Give a good stir and cook on high for 2.5 hours.
4. Serve with delicious low carb bread.