As the days turn colder there is just something so simple and satisfying about split pea soup. I love that the split pea soup gets really thick and substantial, very economical too. You get a "lotta food" for "little bucks"! Please note that legumes (lentils and pea's) are only permissable during phase 3 of Atkins.
Split pea soup
If you don't have smoked pork bones you may substitute with a few rashers of streaky bacon or even smoked kessler rib. I find that the bones work really well and always keep a big bag of them in the freezer compartment. They give a huge amount of flavour! I like the brown lentils as they keep their shape well after many hours of cooking.
Split pea soup ingredients:
- Glug of olive oil
- Tablespoon barbecue or bacon spice.
- 1 large onion chopped (not rough not fine, somewhere in between)
- Half a teaspoon white pepper.
- 3 large carrots finely chopped (use a food processor or kitchen tool)
- 3 litres (101.4 oz) of boiled water.
- 1 tsp crushed garlic.
- 1 Tablespoon dehydrated onion flakes.
- Few grinds of coarse ground salt shaker.
- Four smoked pork bones
- 250g ~ 8.8oz ~ dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 100g ~ 3.5oz ~ brown lentils
Split pea soup instructions:
1. Pour a glug of oil of your choice into a hot pan or wok.
2. Once oil is hot brown your onions and smoked pork bones with the tablespoon of barbecue spice.
3. Place caramelised onions and smoked pork bones into slow cooker.
4. Add remaining ingredients.
5. Cook on high for 5 hours. Stir periodically.
6. Remove the bones - your dogs will love these!
7. Serve with crusty low carb bread and farm butter.