I have heard people say that they love veggies but they don't really enjoy brussel sprouts. I think if prepared correctly they are extremely tasty and also marry well with crispy bacon bits. Nom!
Easy brussel sprouts and bacon recipe
This is a great side dish for family holidays such as Christmas or Easter. You could also add crumbly feta over the top if you prefer. I like my brussel sprouts al dente but if you prefer a longer cooking time you could cover the baking dish with foil and pop into a hot oven at about 200 degrees celsius for an additional 15 minutes.
Easy brussel sprouts and bacon recipe ingredients:
- Approx 800gm (28.2oz) brussel sprouts
- 1 whole onion chopped (fine or rough as you prefer)
- 1 tsp chilli paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- pinch of salt and pepper
- dollop of butter and glug of oil (of your choice)
- 10 rashers of streaky bacon diced into little blocks (or packet of 250g ~ 8.8oz pre-diced bacon bits)
Easy brussel sprouts and bacon recipe cooking instructions:
2. Cut off the hard stem and peel off the outside layer of leaves. Cut them in half.
3. Place in microwave steamer and cook for 4 mins on highest setting.
4. You want to soften the brussel sprouts slightly.
5. Place oil and butter into hot pan, pot or wok and add the bacon bits.
6. Fry until crisp, remove with slotted spoon and drain well.
7. Saute the chopped onion in the reserved bacon grease.
9. Cook the onion until it just starts to turn transparent and caramelises.
10. Add the chilli, garlic, salt and pepper
11. Put the par cooked brussel sprouts and bacon bits back into the pan and flash fry for a few minutes.
13. Place in to a pretty baking dish and serve!