Pulses are 20 to 25% protein by weight. Studies have also shown that consuming pulses can result in more stable blood glucose levels after meals. For people trying to lose weight, pulses are high in fibre and protein, low in fat and moderate in calories. One cup of cooked lentils or dry peas contains about half of the daily fibre recommendation for adults. Foods higher in fibre content usually help people feel “full” or satiated at mealtime. Please note that legumes (lentils and chickpea's) are only permissable during phase 3 of Atkins.
Chickpea, lentil and feta salad
If you don't have a green pepper by all means use the red or yellow variety.
Chickpea, lentil and feta salad ingredients:
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- About 15 juicy cherry tomatoes, chopped into little pieces
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 x 400g (14.1 oz) tin cooked chickpeas
- 1 x 400g (14.1 oz) tin cooked lentils
- 1 x block feta cheese- about 200g (7 oz)
- 3 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- Juice of 1 medium sized lemon
- Generous handful of flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
Chickpea, lentil and feta salad cooking instructions:
2. Mix the ingredients through and then add the feta and lentils.
3. Mix gently otherwise it will go "mushy"
4. Season well with salt and pepper.
5. Lentils and chickpeas need quite a bit of flavour added to them so don’t be shy with the seasoning.