We all know that we need to avoid sugar but are you eating whole wheat bread? Whole wheat bread is very high in sugar and eating just two slices is the equivalent of eating a sugary chocolate. Whole wheat bread has a glycaemic index of 72 while white bread is 69.
Low carb bread
Time saving family tip: Make a triple batch of this dough, bake and keep the sub bread in the freezer for an easy addition to your next picnic! All you have to do is cut open the bread (toast it if desired) and fill with your family's favorite filling. No need to stop at Subway!Lamb is the traditional choice but beef would work well too.
Low carb bread ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (or 1/2 cup coconut flour)
- 5 tbs psyllium husk powder (no substitutes)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs (4 if using coconut flour)
- 1 cup boiling water (or 1 cup very hot MARINARA - for a Tomato & Basil Bread!)
Low carb bread cooking instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 176 celcius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the almond, psyllium powder (no substitutes: flaxseed meal won't work), baking powder and salt.
- Proceed to add in the eggs and combine thoroughly until a thick dough.
- Add boiling water or marinara into the bowl.
- Mix until well combined.
- Form into 4 to 5 mini subs (the dough will rise and spread a little) or one large sub/loaf and place onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 50-65 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and allow the bread cool completely on a drying rack.
- Cut open with a serrated knife.
- Fill with desired fillings. Makes 5 servings.
- OPTION: Double the batch and bake in a small bread pan to make a PANINI!
Traditional Sub Bread = 198 calories, 6g fat, 4g protein, 41 carbs, trace fiber (41 effective carbs)
Almond Flour Sub = 205 calories, 14g fat, 8.4g protein, 10.9g carb, 7.6g fiber (3.3 effective carbs)