Traditionally tuna melts are served as thick slices of toasted bread with a tuna and cheese filling, with chips on the side. These tuna melts however have no bread and they are low carb. You have all the taste, goodness and gooeyness without the guilt!
Low carb tuna melt
Mayonnaise may be substituted with 3 tablespoons cream cheese and 1 tsp of Hot English Mustard or alternatively Greek yoghurt.
Low carb tuna melt ingredients:
- 1 (170 g) ~ 5.9oz can of flaked tuna in water or oil
- 3 tablespoons low carb mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Three thickish slices of tomato (large)
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 2-3 Tbsp. onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (preferably sharp)
Low carb tuna melt cooking instructions:
1. Mix together the mayonnasie spices, onion and celery, with the can of tuna, salt and pepper and any other herbs or seasonings you would like to add. Be creative and have fun with it. Are you wanting a Mexican, Thai or Italian edge to it?
2. Put tuna mixture aside.
3. Proceed to cut a few slices of the tomato and set aside.
4. Place tomato slices on a foil lined baking sheet.
5. Mound tuna mixture on top of each tomato slice and top with cheese.
6. Place under grill until cheese is melted and starts to brown.
7. Carefully, with the aid of a flexible spatula, slide the tuna melt onto your plate- or a bed of shredded lettuce and enjoy.
8. You can use other types of cheese, or even sauteed mushrooms as your base, but take the carbs into account- some cheeses are higher than others and the same for veggies too.
9. Your low carb tuna melts are approximately 4 - 5 net carbs.
If you make these low carb tuna melts, please let me know what you think. Your comments and suggestions are always welcome!