Bone broth is also known as a super food. Bone broth is prepared in cultures around the world as both a tasty, healthful soup and an easily digested medicinal food.
The prolonged cooking of bones in water results in a broth rich in nutritional constituents that promote strength, purify the blood, comforting and nourishing for those who are ill and in rehabilitation. This bone broth recipe is easy to make and yields a fair amount. This bone broth or stock is great in soups, stews or casseroles. It also serves as the perfect base for vegetable soup needing a bit of pizzazz. Top restuarants also have several good bone broth recipes that they use as stock for their delicious soups. A bone broth poured into ice trays and placed into the freezer will ensure a steady supply of stock ice "cubes" whenever they are required. The bone broth could also be frozen in small tupperware bowls.
Bone broth ingredients:
- 8 marrow bones
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion
- 2 tsp cajun spice
- 2 tsp smokey bbq spice
- 2 tsp garlic and herb spice
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1.2 Litre water (40.5oz)
- Generous glug of olive oil.
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 smallish turnip grated
Bone broth cooking instructions:
2. Add your onion and saute until slightly browned.
3. Once browned, add your spices and marrow bones and keep sauteeing on a slightly lower heat until the bones are sealed on both sides and onions and bones have a rich, brown colour.
4. Take off the heat and scrape all the crispy onion bits, oil and bones into your slow cooker.
5. Add carrot, turnip, 2 bay leaves, garlic paste and lastly the water.
6. Cook on high for 1 hour and on low for 9 hours.
7. You might find that half way through cooking, you need to pick up the bones individually with a large serving spoon and just dig the marrow out with a small teaspoon.
8. Over time the broth will get thick and gelatinous with lovely bits of marrow floating in it. The little bits of meat on the bone will also fall off.
11. Now you have a delicious rich and tasty bone broth!
12. Should keep in the fridge for about 4 days, thats if you have managed to make it last for that long!